Research complements teaching at the University of Oradea. Extensive research is carried out in research centers, research groups, and within faculties. The directions for research are set by the academic community, by taking into account the existing research capability, local heritage, present and future demands. Research is part of every academic employee's work. It is one of the criteria in evaluating the employee's performance. It may be part of the didactic performance plan.
One major objective of our research programs has been attracting a large number of students and specialists from our University and from elsewhere, into becoming interested in these fields. For this purpose, the University concluded several protocols with various institutions in the country and abroad. Protocols are focused on interdisciplinary themes in various fields. They are supported with seminars, conferences and mutual research contracts. Scientific research, at the University of Oradea, encompasses both the fundamental and the applied side. Direct application of the results of fundamental research is specifically emphasized.
Research, at the University of Oradea, is strategically developed in the following directions:
- Energy Technologies
- Electrical Technology and Electronics
- Mechanical Technology and Engineering
- Environmental Technology and Engineering
- Social - Humanistic Sciences
- Economic Sciences
- Law Sciences
- Mathematics and Information Technology
- Physical Chemistry
- Music and Arts
Research financing is provided by research contracts through the Ministry of Education, Youth and Research (M.E.C.T.)- Research (CEEX), research grants through M.E.C.T. – Education (CNCSIS, CNFIS), through research programs with foreign financing (Phare, Jean Monnet, Nato, PC 6, Leonardo da Vinci, Long Life Programme) and through contacts with various economic units in the country and abroad.
The University of Oradea will focus not only on the development of the relations with the beneficiaries of its research activities, respectively M.Ed.C etc., but also on the pursuit of new beneficiaries interested in our research and willing to finance new research topics.
Research Centers and Teams
National Geothermal Research Center
The most important geothermal resources of Romania are located in the western area of the country. This fact, together with the existence of a group of specialists having an extensive experience in this field of activity, led to the establishment, in 1992, by order of the Ministry of Education, of the National Geothermal Research Centre at the University of Oradea.
The National Geothermal Research Centre is located in a modern three-floor building totalling 950 sqm. which accommodates: a geothermal power plant; a maintenance and repairing workshop; a coil-wire workshop; four design offices; a high-pressure test laboratory; three chemical laboratories; one transient processes computer simulation laboratory; the control room of the SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) system for the geothermal power plant and the direct uses systems. The geothermal heating system supplying the campus and two neighbouring blocks of flats comprises: a geothermal well, a storage tank, a pumping station and a heat plant. The well is equipped with a line shaft pump (driven by an electric motor located on the well head). The SCADA system is controlled by an Allen Bradley process computer and two PCs are used for the graphic interface with the operators. The PC's use a graphic InTouch interface which allows on-screen visualisation of and direct mouse-click intervention in the entire geothermal process. The SCADA system provides the acquisition, analysis and storage of relevant process data (flow rates, temperatures, pressures, energy consumption, etc). Further research in various fields (geothermal reservoir behaviour, geothermal water use, district heating, greenhouse heating, fish farming, aquaculture, etc.) can use the databases and diagrams provided by the SCADA system.
The transient processes computer simulator is used both for teaching and for the study and optimisation of the geothermal system operation.The National Geothermal Research Centre has lead research in the following areas:
- geothermal reservoir exploration;
- design and manufacturing of specific equipment for geothermal energy utilisation;
- conversion of geothermal energy into electrical energy and the fundaments of the binary cycle power plant;
- cascaded utilisation of the geothermal energy;
- chemical treatment of the geothermal water, from production to re-injection;
- geothermal water impact on limestone rocks;
- separation of the dissolved gases from the Bors geothermal reservoir, for CH4 and CO2 use in technological processes;
- geothermal greenhouse heating;
- SO2 abatement from the flue gasses of the low grade coal fired power plants;
- B extraction from geothermal water;
- chemical analysis (quantity and quality) of the dissolved gases from some geothermal wells in the Western Plain of Romania;
- completion of a database for geothermal reservoirs from the Western Plain;
- dynamic structure and productivity of certain biocenosys (terrestrial and aquatic);
- genetic and ecological factors which influence various ecosystems;
- effects of geothermal water radioactivity on the vegetal and animal genotype;
- elaboration and optimisation of chromatographic methods for medicinal plant analysis, for certain flavonite-rich plants;
- utilisation of mixed heteropolyacids in analytical chemistry;
- physical and chemical study of geothermal water in the Western Plain etc.
One major goal is to attract a large number of students and specialists from our University but from other places too, and to make them interested in the subject.
Medical Research Center
The Medical Research Center operates within the Faculty of Medicine. It contains 18 laboratories, equipped with cutting-edge equipment: computer technology, UV spectro-photo-meters; microbiology - photo-camera microscope; histology - video-camera microscope; COBAS biochemistry analyzer; AVL blood gas analysis and ionograms, Coulter-hematology, ELISA lines, 3-D color Doppler echograph with reconstruction capability, ESVL litrotipter, Tomography computers, fiberscopes, celioscopes for abdominal surgery, urology; computerized EKG, hemodialysers, coronary monitoring apparatus, scintograph, mammography apparatus, endocavity echograph, mielographs, microscope for surgeries, liposuction equipment, artroscope, Rx portable apparatus with image memory, endocavity transducer, genetics lab equipment, cardiotographs, thermotherapy installations, complete dental photo-polymerization apparatus, ultra-rapid high-efficiency analyzers, monitoring station for patient surveillance installed in the ward room, Storz type laparoscopical surgery line, arteroscope, rezectoscope, microscopes, EEG apparatus, tomograph, spectrometers, analytic balances, ceramic oven, precious metal moulding oven and others.
The Medical Research Center stretches over a 628 sqm. surface area. It also contains a mini computer center. There is continuos preoccupation on behalf of the staff for modernizing the facilities and acquiring new, more performing equipment. The center also contains a library boasting over 60,000 books, 1360 magazines and 70 videotapes.
Research is focused on the most up-to-date fields of global medicine as well as on fundamental subjects of the medical science. The research programs, part of the National Research Programs, are carried out in collaboration with The Romanian Academy of Medical Sciences. Research is carried out by each department, following their own scientific programs developed in conjunction with the Medical Research Center, "Crisana" branch, of the Medical Academy (whose president is Acad. Prof. Dr. Mircea Ifrim, Dean of Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy).
Research is focused on:
- human physiology
- influence of magnetic fields over the immune response of living organisms
- influence of thymus over phagocytes reaction
- non-specific immune response in diabetics
- cerebral vasomotor response in altitude hypo-oxy
- theoretical and clinical studies regarding osteoporosis phenomenon that may occur in astronauts in weightless conditions
- study of reticuline M
- morphology and reactivity of conjunctive tissue
- reactivity and modifications of the cyto-histo-chemical nervous tissue
- clinical immunology and auto-immune diseases
- action of geothermal agents over the human body and in therapy of certain diseases (in collaboration with the National Geothermal Research Center)
- bone reactivity in dental implants
- pharmacology of certain enzymes
- bone, tissue and kidney banks
- renal transplant
- medical statistic studies.
Microwave Technologies Research Center:
- determination of mathematical model of electromagnetic and thermal fields for 3D modeling
- numerical implementation of field mathematical model using numerical methods
- comparison between numerical results and the results of professional software packages
- utilization of numerical modeling results in equipment design
- building the installation
- experimental measurements
- optimization of equipments by correlating the experimental results with the theoretical oves
- research in inductive heating domain (heating process, heat treatments, melting of non-ferrous materials, electromagnetic control of non-ferous alloy solidifing)
- research in the domain of using the microwave furance (oven) in drying process, sintering etc.
- design of electrotehnics and electromecanic instalation and their execution
- design and execution of electrothermic installation
- numerical modeling of electromagnetic phenomena, numerical modeling and CAD of the Electro-thermal equipment
- researches on microwave use and the promotion of specific technologies
- design and execution of equipment for Electro-technologies
- researches on the design, assimilation and execution of magnetrons with continuous operation and high powers
- researches on the development of measuring systems, data acquisition and processing in Electro-technical and geothermal processes.
- time-frequency analysis of the non-stationary signals image processing neuronal networks
- theoretical studies concerning the design of the optoelectronical sensors, optical detectors, implementation of the optoelectronical sensors in electronically circuits, design and development of some measuring electronically apparatus
- introduction of modern electrical drives in process automation.
Nuclear Fusion Research Center:
- explanation of the phenomenon of nuclear fusion;
- realisation of experimental installation for the usage of this phenomenon for energetic aims.
Research Center in the field of superconductivity and electric and magnetic measurement in cryogenics:
- designing and construction of electronic equipment in the field of cryogenics
- manufacturing superconductivity wires
- cryogenic equipment
- use of emited energy
- designing and construction of laboratory pilot plant.
Research Center in the airspace field (in co-operation with the Academy of Cosmonautics "K.E. Tiolkovski" Russia and The Romanian Space Agency)
- theoretical and applied researches for device’s implementation with optoelectronical sensors for cosmic use
- tests of the board electronic devices
- energetic systems. Cosmic energetic systems.
Pilot-Research Center of the Child’s Rights Protection
- implementation of the Government’ strategy regarding the protection of child rights
- studies in the way to elaborate a legislation for protection of youth and teenagers that have left specific protection institutions
- implementation of a strategy in purpose to improve perfecting studies for the teaching staff which will enroll in their classes children with disabilities
- studies regarding the possibility to organize some specific protected workshops in which youth and children with disabilities can study and work
- studies regarding the socio-professional integration of teenagers and children with disabilities.
International Center for Euro-Regional Research (CICERO)
For the moment, we have five research branches, but their number may increase, depending on the problems approached by CICERO. These branches are:
- Historic and Demographic Regional Bases. Taking into account the fact that we are concerned with a geographically delimited region, we consider it necessary to put forward its historic and demographic basis. Both historians and sociologists will be involved in the activity of this department.
- Spatial Aspect of the Euro-region. We focus mainly on geographic research. The professors and students of the Geography Chair will be involved in this section.
- The Economic Problem of Euro-regional Cooperation. The economic aspects, as well as those concerning European integration will be envisaged.
- Political aspect, the active involvement in solving certain administrative and political matters of the Carpathian Euro-region.
- Cultural aspect. We will place here the aspects related to art, culture, and civilization in the region mentioned above; we will also approach matters that are related to mass media and its role in the democratisation and transition process towards a new system of values.
The Center of Teritorial Studies and Analyses:
- The study of relief and human impact on it
- The study of geographical risks and hazards
- The protection of the environment
- Complex studies of regional geography, of organizing and planning the environment
- Studies of integration in the Carpathian Euro-region and Bihor-Hajdu Bihor
- Issues of political geography in central and Eastern Europe
The Center of Research and European Studies on the Issue of Migration:
- the inclusion of the University of Oradea in the realization of an Annual barometer of Migration. Planning a meeting between the representatives of the Faculty of Political and Communicative Science, Faculty of Socio-Humanistic Sciences (specialization Sociology) of Oradea and sociologists from Bucharest (Sebastian Lazaroiu team etc)
- interdisciplinary research in order to get acquainted with and measure the phenomenon of migration in Bihor and other counties
The Center of Research and Technological Enegineering on the Conversion of Electromagnetic energy:
- numerical modeling and simulating of electromagnetic and thermic phenomenon coupled in the technological processes of heating by means of induction
- assisted studies, research and projecting of electro-thermic equipment
- numerical modeling and simulating of electromagnetic processes specific to the process of heating in a microwave field
- studies, research, regarding the microwave technology, projecting and making microwave equipment
- studies and research regarding the making of electric equipment
- research regarding the use of new sources of unconventional energy and the rational use of electric energy
Chemistry Research Team:
- electrosynthesis of organic compounds and study of electrosynthesis by voltametry sensitive ion, electrodes
- exchangers of inorganic electrons (redox)
- the use of mixed heteropolyacids in analytical chemistry
- examination of synthesis process of methylmonochlorineacetate through physical chemical methods of analysis
- study of redox properties of triheteropolyacids through cyclic voltmeter
- evaluation of production characteristics and monitorization of sediments in geothermal waters in Oradea, Romania and Seltjarnernes, Iceland
- study of physical-chemistry characteristics of poly-oxo-metalates and their utilities
- study of anticorrosive properties of some compounds agajnst the corrosion process of iron alloy
- separation of some organical compounds which are biological activ by using chromatography in thin layers
- study of scaling problems which appear at geothermal water utilization in the western part of the country
- analysis of rare metals ores
- extraction of some biologic activ organical compounds from plants by using ultrasonic waves
- Organics Electrosynthisis, Cinetics Studies.
Physics Research Team:
- preparation and study of the electrical and magnetic properties of the thin films
- preparation and study of the properties of crystalline materials
- achievement of microwave generators of magnetron-type
- producing of electric energy from the head of geothermal waters
- determination of power and of other characteristics, parameters from polyatomic molecules
- preparation and study of electric and magnetic properties of perovskitical superconductors.
Biology Research Team:
- fauna research in forest ecosystems
- rare and endemic species of Romanian fauna
- research of oligochaeta fauna from The Cris rivers basin
- research on fish feeding, the effects of the geothermal waters radioactivity upon the plants and animals genotype
- technical agricultural effects upon the microbiology of the soil
- multiplication of cymbidium protocorms on different culture environments
- multiplication “in vitro” of Chrysanthemum species
- micropropagation “in vitro” of Dianthus species
- the study of rizogene powders’ influence upon the multiplication of carnations through cutting method.
The Design Department within the Faculty of Architecture and Constructions is in charge with the following activities:
- Strength projecting in civilian, industrial, agricultural constructions and in hydro–works of public constructions
- Projecting the architecture and urbanism
- Elaboration of topographical planes
- Real estate evaluation
- Consulting and technical examination
- Projecting the plumbing and heating installations
- Projecting systems for Plumbing, for Sewerage and for Cleaning the used water
- Leading the building site and the quality work control in constructions
We have to mention that research is carried out by each faculty department and it is materialized in scientific dissertations, presented on various national and international symposiums, congresses, conferences. The coordination of the research activity according to the department’s plans and the stimulation of the creative spirit determined lately the publishing, by the didactic staff of the university, of an important number of papers and articles in specialty publications and Doctoral thesis.
Research and Study of the Freedom of Mobility in Europe Center
Romanian Studies Center
Modern Methods, Means and Materials used in the Integrated Production Systems
The Center for Studies on Social Changes
Career Orientation and Advice Center